Lorgat wants to mend relationship with BCCI

Monday, July 22, 2013



Former ICC CEO Haroon Lorgat, who was appointed Cricket South Africa CEO, said he was saddened about his poor relationship with BCCI.

Ending weeks of speculation raised by India's reported opposition, Cricket South Africa appointed Lorgat as its CEO on Saturday, a post that was lying vacant after Gerald Majola was sacked in October last year due to the IPL bonus-payments controversy.



Lorgat's appointment assumed significance because of reports that the financially powerful BCCI had opposed the 53-year-old due to its differences with him during his tenure as the ICC's CEO on the issues of DRS and the Future Tours Programme.

"Mr. Lorgat's appointment follows a thorough and rigorous process to fill this important position," CSA President Chris Nenzani had said after the appointment.

Lorgat told reporters at the Wanderers in Johannesburg that he was not very sure what his problems with the mighty Indian cricket board were but stressed he was open to clearing the air with people he once thought was friends. India had even reportedly threatened to cancel their upcoming tour of South Africa if Lorgat was appointed by CSA.

"I didn't expect such a poor relationship to have emanated after I left the ICC.

"It's probably right for me not to speak much on this subject except for me to say I was particularly saddened," Lorgat said. "I will do my level best to understand what the issues are with those who are not happy. If I need to sit across the table, go to India, whatever it takes. If it means that I have wronged somebody and I need to apologize ... I will do so. I will have no hesitation to do so," Lorgat said.

Nenzani confirmed that India had raised objections to Lorgat's role within the CSA but said a meeting in February with the BCCI was held to address India's concerns.

"We had an opportunity to talk to the Indian president, the president of the BCCI. They raised certain concerns about the possible appointment of Mr. Lorgat as our CEO," Nenzani said of the February meeting. "We made it clear to them, we said we would not undermine your concerns, we would not ignore your concerns, but we will be in a position to look into this matter and see how best the interests of CSA are addressed."

Lorgat would be keen to mend his ties with India, the most powerful country in world cricket and one that would tour South Africa from November for Test, one-day and Twenty20 International series
"You cannot argue the fact that India is an important player in world cricket," Lorgat said. "I knew that before I got to the ICC, I know that better after I come from the ICC," Lorgat said
Several South African cricketers are also contracted with different teams in the Indian Premier League, the most cash-rich T20 League in the world

you can see the original article here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate

 

Followers